Monday, October 31, 2011

"The clock starts over..."

This is what my husband kept saying during my whole pregnancy when referring to the birth of our second child.  He was referring to the nights of staying up till the wee hours of the morning with a fussy baby and generally everything that comes with having a child.  At the time I scoffed.  After all, we were more experienced, more used to taking care of children, surely better at managing our time and getting to bed early... Yet, here I sit at 6am.  I went to bed at 10:15 last night, woke up at 12:30 to nurse, and have been up since 3am with my 4 week old son.  My daughter intermittently cries out from the bedroom in her sleep.  Transitions have never been easy for her and this night time transition with a new baby has been especially hard.  I am afraid she is missing a lot of sleep as well and I am not sure what to do about it.  I keep telling myself this is only a short phase of life in the grand scheme of things.  There will be a time when we can all sleep peacefully again and I won't have this exhausted-past-the-point-of-feeling-tired and jangly-raw-nerves feeling anymore.  It helps me get through the day and keep moving forward, even when I feel like yelling at the world or simply giving up and taking refuge in my bed.  Otherwise, the weather is getting colder and I am liking the feeling of snugness in our little apartment these days.  Now if only it would magically clean itself I could relax...












No comments:

Post a Comment